Baunat only offers 100% natural diamonds. This means no treated, artificial or clarity intensified diamonds.
The diamonds we select are high quality and offer the greatest brilliance in proportion to their cost.
We select the diamonds that sparkle to their maximum but pay no additional cost for prestige or rarity. Diamonds used by Baunat have a VS2 or SI1 score (1) on the purity scale and have a G or H colour (2). They also have an exceptional cut (3).
- Diamonds with this result only have minor impurities that are impossible to see with the naked eye for a consumer.
- Diamonds with this result have a very nice white color without a yellow complexion.
- The cut grade will always be awarded at least a 'VG' (Very Good) rating, and in most cases will even be 2x to 3x 'VG', depending on the grading laboratory. The VG refers to the proportions ( Proportions, VG = very good in terms of proportions, refers to the size of the diamond and the relative proportions of the different areas and degrees), the symmetry (Symmetry , VG = very good in terms of symmetry, refers to the degree of disagreement between different areas and degrees, and Finishing (Finish, Very Good finish terms, refers to the finish grinding of the various facets to the outside).
Baunat offers 2 possible quality combinations:
- Color G - VS2 clarity - minimum VG cut
- Color H - SI1 Clarity - minimum VG cut
Both combinations guarantee a diamond with a beautiful white colour without yellow complexion, with minor impurities that are invisible to the naked eye. In addition, all diamonds we select have a great shine because of their high score in terms of the quality of the cut.
The first combination (G-VS2) will be a little brighter than the second, because of the difference in color and purity. The second combination can only be found in the jewelry category ‘Classics’ with a minimum of 0.30 ct diamonds.
Baunat does not only select its stones based on the 4 C's you find on the diamond's certificate, but judges the quality of produced light. Because our headquarters are in the heart of the diamond world centre, we can carefully check every stone. Ultimately we chose the diamonds based on the light they radiate. In other words, we only work with diamonds that shine better than the theoretical proprieties of their certificate (4 C's) would predict.
The combination of our know-how and methods and the fact that diamond industry prices are based on the 4 C's allow us to offer the best price-quality ratio. Only diamonds with a maximal shine will be chosen. A diamond's radiance results of the white light, the movement of light, and the coloured light it reflects.
Diamonds are placed in jewellery pieces in a specific way, so that the table (the top flat part of the diamond) is visible. The bottom part of the diamond, which ends in a cone, usually isn't visible. For instance, in a ring, the bottom part disappears inside the ring. This way, light only enters the diamond from the top of the stone. Because of the specific light refraction of diamonds and the mirror effect of the bottom sides, light will come back out the top of the diamond in all the colours of the rainbow. This process is only maximised if the diamond was cut perfectly, has perfect proportions and if all angles and sides were cut according to the mathematical model of 58 sides.
The diamond will only shine its best if the light is controlled. Otherwise, the light gets lost or disappears in another corner of the diamond.
The cutting process is of course a very difficult, risky and time-consuming process and requires years of expertise. Because all the diamond's growing nerves aren't visible, the work can't be computerised, and is always done by hand. Years of training are required.
Our jewels can carry any shape and size of diamonds: round, princess (square), pear (teardrop) and many others (on demand, see ‘TAILOR MADE’).