Blogs in the spotlight
- How do I buy the perfect diamond ring?
- Choosing the perfect wedding ring
- Buying an engagement ring: expert tips & tricks
- Welke diamanten oorbellen kopen?
- Which earrings are the right ones for you?
- How to choose the perfect diamond bracelet?
- How to choose a necklace for ladies?
- Take your time in choosing your watch
- What's the right jewellery for each occasion?
- Why buy diamond jewellery online?
- A guide to building up your jewellery collection
- What types of precious metals are there?
- What types of precious metals are there?
- Jewellery trends and innovations in 2020
- What sorts of diamond setting are there?
- Which exceptional diamonds and jewellery belong to royalty?
- How much is the Britisch royal crown and diamong jewellery worth?
- Which celebrities own the most expensive stones and rings?
Who has never been impressed by a beautiful jewel? Many of these unique pieces belong to the richest people on earth, are part of museum collections or have been set in a royal crown. The value of the jewels not only has to do with how beautiful or rare they are, they often also carry historical value. This is an overview of the most expensive and discussed jewels in the world.
Most viewed diamond jewels
- 0.50 carat solitaire ring in yellow gold with round diamond and four prongsFrom USD 2.310 (excl. VAT)
- 1.90 carat solitaire ring in white gold with oval diamondFrom USD 3.180 (excl. VAT)
- 0.90 carat solitaire diamond ring in white gold with side diamondsFrom USD 2.670 (excl. VAT)
- 1.00 carat solitaire ring in white gold with side diamondsFrom USD 3.250 (excl. VAT)
- 1.00 carat solitaire halo ring in white gold with round diamondsFrom USD 3.340 (excl. VAT)
The most beautiful and famous jewellery (collections) throughout history
What is the story behind Marie Antoinette's jewellery?In 2018, for the first time in 200 years, Marie Antoinette's famous diamonds and jewellery were shown to the public and sold. On 14 November 2018, the Bourbon-Parma family exhibited the royal collections at Sotheby's auction in Geneva.
How was Marie Antoinette's jewellery collection saved?
Fortunately, she already had her collection of jewellery brought to safety by sending them to her cousin in Vienna, Emperor Francis II, in a wooden box.
The box contained all her famous diamonds, rubies and pearls, wrapped in cotton cloths. In 1796, the queen's only surviving daughter, Marie Thérèse, arrived in Austria. There, Francis II returned the jewellery to her. She gave part of it to her niece, Princess Louise, Duchess of Parma, because she herself had no children. The famous diamonds and jewellery thus came into the possession of the Bourbon-Parma family.
What was the auction proceeds of the royal jewellery collection in Geneva?
The yield was estimated to be €2.5 million, but in the end all pieces were sold for a whopping € 42 million in total.
The most expensive item of jewellery was Marie Antoinette's famous diamond and pearl pendant, which was previously estimated at €1.7 million. After an exhaustive bidding process between several avid collectors from 42 countries, the piece of jewellery was auctioned for €36 million, which is a record amount for the sale of a pearl.
Which French jewellery collection still appeals to the imagination?
For this, we must tell the story of Eugénie de Montijo, the last empress of France, trendsetter and lover of art, fashion and exclusive jewellery.
Eugénie de Montijo was the daughter of a Spanish count and was born in Granada. At the age of six, they fled to Paris because of a cholera epidemic in Spain. In 1849, she met the future French emperor Napoleon III at a reception. When Napoleon asked her about the way to her heart, the bold Eugénie replied: “Down the aisle to the altar, Sire”
How did Eugénie fulfil her role as empress?
When she accompanied her husband to official balls, she was always dressed elegantly and bedecked in the most exclusive jewellery. She was passionate about art and fashion.
How did Empress Eugénie put her stamp on clothing and exclusive jewellery?
Are the royal crown jewels of the British royal house the most expensive?
If you only want to buy the diamonds in the royal crown jewels, you are estimated to need a budget of €26 million.
Which royal jewellery is included in the British crown jewels and diamonds?
Where can you view the Aurora Pyramid of Hope diamonds?
Which jewels of the British royal family are privately owned?
For example, the Queen's beautiful flower brooch, with a pure pink diamond in the centre, is a wedding gift from the mine owner where the diamond was discovered. So, state property. However, journalists have noted that she also wears the brooch on unofficial occasions, indicating private property.
Where can you buy royal jewellery?
Not only Sotheby's, but Christie's auction house also had the honour of auctioning a royal diamond.
In November 2017, 'Le Grand Mazarin', the 19 carat pale pink diamond owned by 4 French kings, 4 queens, 2 emperors and 2 empresses, was auctioned for €12.3 million.
Who gave Liz Taylor her most beautiful diamond?
Liz Taylor is sometimes also called the diamond queen.
Burton later bought Liz Taylor a 69.42 carat pear-shaped diamond for more than $1 million. It turned out to be too big for a ring setting, so the celebrity couple had a necklace designed by Cartier especially for the occasion. The actress showed the jewel at the 1970 Oscar ceremony.
After Liz Taylor's death, her entire jewellery collection went under the hammer at auction house Christie's New York. It was auctioned for €106 million.
A record at the time! The masterpiece, the necklace 'Peregrina', raised €9 million. Not surprisingly, it was also a gift from her ex-husband Richard Burton. The jewellery was part of the Spanish royal crown jewels in the 16th century.
Why is the Graff Pink an extraordinary diamond?
Before it was sold, the diamond was owned by Harry Winston, a renowned jeweller from York, for more than 60 years. In addition to the Graff Pink, he had a number of other exclusive diamonds in his private collection. Among others, the famous Briolette of India and the Hope Diamond.
What is the story behind the Hope Diamond?
In the inventory of the royal crown jewels, the diamond was described as an intense steel blue stone and thus was named 'Diamant bleu de la Couronne' or 'Bleu de France'.
The diamond was set in gold and the king wore it occasionally with a ribbon around his neck. Louis the 15th had the diamond reset by his own court jeweller and thus it became a ceremonial jewel for the famous Toison D'Or.
How did the Hope Diamond end up in England?
Henry Philip Hope named the Hope Diamond after himself.
In 1911, the diamond came into the hands of the flamboyant Mrs Evalyn Walsh McLean, who bought it from Cartier and eventually had it set as a pendant in a diamond necklace. Since 1958, the Hope Diamond has been part of the Smithsonian Institute's collection and has since been out on loan only four times. Its value today is estimated at $350 million.
Who was the Blue Moon of Josephine named after?
Joseph Lau paid $48.4 million for the diamond which he named after his daughter. The day before, he also bought a rare pink diamond for $28.4 million that he called Sweet Josephine
Lau also treated his daughter with a blue diamond in 2009, the Star of Josephine, though it only carried a price tag of $9.5 million.
What is the most famous collection of yellow diamonds?
What is the most perfect diamond?
The De Beers Centenary Diamond is widely regarded as the best diamond ever.
The Centenary is a colour D. That means 'perfectly colourless'. The Centenary is also unbeatable in terms of purity. It is therefore insured for $100 million.
Which diamond jewellery became famous thanks to Hollywood?
Breakfast at Tiffany’s
Maid in Manhattan
It is her white gold earrings with marquise diamonds that draw special attention. In BAUNAT's collection, you will find earrings that look pretty much like the couple Jennifer Lopez was allowed to wear. You too can feel like a princess in a fairy tale.
Grace Kelly received multiple engagement rings from her beloved, Prince Rainier of Monaco.
The first engagement ring she received was an eternity ring set with diamonds and rubies designed by Cartier. Prince Rainier didn't think that was enough, however, when he saw the engagement rings of some other leading ladies in Hollywood. Her second engagement ring was set with a 12-carat diamond in emerald cut. This stone was flanked by two stones in baguette cut.
Which celeb received the most engagement rings?
What expensive engagement rings do today's superstars wear?
Despite the fact that hefty sums are sometimes spent on the engagement rings of contemporary celebrities, it is not always a guarantee of success. Although we are convinced that it will not be a problem with you.
- Taylor Kinney showed off his most romantic side when he proposed to singer and actress Lady Gaga with a heart-shaped solitaire engagement ring. Unfortunately, due to the pop star's busy career, it didn't come to a marriage.
- Adam Shulman must have thought it could be done better. He personally designed a one-of-a-kind engagement ring worth $150,000 for Anne Hathaway.
- Actor Ryan Reynolds also had a lot of money put aside for his Blake Lively. He gave her a red gold engagement ring with a pale pink, oval-shaped diamond worth $2.5 million in 2012. This beautiful choice contributed to the increased popularity that red gold has had in recent years.
- Tennis player Anna Kournikova's ring deserves a
special mention. Strictly speaking, it is not an engagement ring, because Kournikova and her partner Enrique Iglesias have no wedding plans after an 18-year relationship and twins. The ring with an 11 carat pear-shaped pink diamond, has an estimated value of $2.5 million.
- One of the most expensive engagement rings in the world is wrapped around the finger of American R&B singer Beyoncé. Queen B's beloved Jay-Z proposed to her with a platinum ring with an emerald cut diamond of 18 carats. He had paid a whopping $5 million for it.
- Diva Mariah Carey received an engagement ring from her billionaire James Packer with a 35-carat diamond, worth $7.5 million. The couple is no longer together, but Mariah was allowed to keep the ring.
- Despite a $2 million ring, reality star Kim Kardashian was married to Kris Humphries for barely 72 days. He never saw the ring again, by the way.
- Kanye West also spared no effort to coax Kim Kardashian into wedded bliss. In a rented stadium illuminated by a beautiful fireworks display, he proposed to her with a real whopper of an engagement ring. However, the $4.5 million ring with a 20-carat diamond was stolen when Kim was robbed in Paris in October 2016. The ring wasn't recovered... Their marriage is still lasting to this day.