Blogs in the spotlight
- How do I buy the perfect diamond ring?
- Choosing the perfect wedding ring
- Buying an engagement ring: expert tips & tricks
- Which earrings are the right ones for you?
- How to choose the perfect diamond bracelet?
- How to choose a necklace for ladies?
- Take your time in choosing your watch
- What's the right jewellery for each occasion?
- Why buy diamond jewellery online?
- A guide to building up your jewellery collection
- What types of precious metals are there?
- What types of precious metals are there?
- Jewellery trends and innovations in 2020
- What sorts of diamond setting are there?
Many stones fall under the category of precious or semi-precious, but the sapphire is one of the best known of all. Its beauty, rarity and durability are astonishing. Just like ruby, sapphire consists of the mineral corundum. The sky-blue colour is the result of contaminated iron particles in the stone. But why is buying an expensive sapphire engagement ring so enticing, and what is the history and meaning behind this special stone?
- Where does the name sapphire come from?
- What is the symbolism behind sapphires?
- Why is the blue sapphire often called a ‘royal precious stone’?
- For which occasions are sapphires appropriate?
- How can I incorporate blue and a sapphire, in particular, into my wedding?
- Why should I buy a sapphire engagement ring or other jewellery from BAUNAT?
Browse our wonderful collection of sapphire jewellery to buy your ideal engagement ring
Most viewed diamond jewels
- Entourage ring in red gold with an oval sapphire and round diamondsFrom USD 4.240 (incl. 0% VAT)
- Entourage ring in platinum with an oval sapphire and round diamondsFrom USD 4.460 (incl. 0% VAT)
- Entourage pendant in white gold with oval sapphire and round diamondsFrom USD 5.420 (incl. 0% VAT)
- Entourage pendant in yellow gold with oval sapphire and round diamondsFrom USD 5.420 (incl. 0% VAT)
- Entourage pendant in red gold with oval sapphire and round diamondsFrom USD 5.420 (incl. 0% VAT)
Where does the name "sapphire" come from?
High-quality sapphires are no less beautiful than diamonds, although they do have a little bit less sparkle. Buy a blue diamond or blue sapphire engagement ring? The choice is yours!
The sapphire’s sky-blue colour is the reason the stone has been attributed so many powers. Alternative healers believe that sapphires contain energetic and healingproperties. In India, they were convinced that blue sapphires could open the third eye and were the point for accessing exceptional wisdom and insight. When the ancient Greeks consulted the Oracle of Delphi, they always had a blue sapphire with them.The sapphire’s sky-blue colour is one reason that the sapphire is believed to have spiritual properties.
The sapphire’s sky-blue colour is one reason that the sapphire is believed to have spiritual properties.
Sapphires decorated the clothes and jewellery of many kings and queens.
Diana also had other blue sapphire jewellery. As such, Kate is now the owner of a gorgeous pair of sapphire earrings. The pair matched her sapphire engagement ring and were part of a wedding gift from King Fahd of Saudi Arabia.
Three famous sapphires
- Napoleon’s sapphire engagement ring: The ring that Napoleon gave to Josephine is set with a spectacular pear-shaped sapphire and diamond in a mirror image. This sapphire ring in a Toi & Moi design is an ideal engagement ring. The ring was sold at auction for $1.17 million in 2013.
- Stuart Sapphire: The Stuart Sapphire is one of the precious stones decorating the English Crown Jewels. This sapphire has a rather turbulent history. Its location was often unknown throughout history. Nonetheless, it was taken to France after the Glorious Revolution in 1688. In 1807, the stone returned to the United Kingdom from Italy. Today, the Stuart Sapphire can be seen in the Tower of London.
- The Blue Belle of Asia: This unique precious stone was sold for $17 million in 2014. It broke the record for the most expensive sapphire in the world sold at a public auction. It was bought in 1937 as a gift for Queen Elizabeth II for her coronation. However, the Queen never received it. The necklace the sapphire is set in is now part of the private collection of a Saudi collector.
Which month has the sapphire as its birthstone?
Sapphire is the birthstone for people born in September. So, if your future spouse was born in this month, then buying a sapphire engagement ring would be a great choice.
How are blue sapphires used?
According to alternative healers, sapphires have spiritual and healing properties.
What should you think about when buying a sapphire for an engagement ring or other piece of jewellery?
With green emeralds, red rubies and blue sapphires, the colour intensity determines the stone’s value. Similarly, with sapphires, the deeper the blue, the more valuable the sapphire is. Furthermore, the clarity (number of inclusions) and cut enable the colour to really shine through. An expert gem cutter will consider the direction of the crystal structure.
A kiss on the hand may feel very, very good, but a diamond and sapphire bracelet lasts forever.
Top tip: Consult a wedding dress specialist and choose dresses from the same collection as the wedding dress so that the styles match.
Start the most special day of your life in style by arriving at your wedding in a blue wedding car. Light-blue classic cars are ideal for couples who love vintage style, and navy-blue luxury cars are the perfect choice for newlyweds who prefer a classic style.
Golden tip: Choose blue bridesmaids’ dresses from the same collection as the wedding dress.
To solve this problem, you could pick a stylish blue dress to wear for the rest of the reception. Complete your new style with a pair of chic blue pumps, or why not even go for a pair of comfortable blue trainers to conquer the dance floor?
The sapphire earrings and sapphire pendant you wore during the wedding ceremony will complete your outfit. The light from the spotlights will guarantee your sapphire wedding ring sparkles even more.
Why should I buy sapphire jewellery from BAUNAT?
But when it comes time to buy, why is BAUNAT the right choice?
Our experts only work with the highest-quality materials. You can trust that your sapphire ring or necklace will be of the very best quality. We also buy our precious stones directly from the source, avoid unnecessary intermediaries, which lets us sell our jewellery online for 30-50%% cheaper.
Still can’t decide which sapphire engagement ring or pair of earrings to buy? BAUNAT’s jewellery experts are always available to help you make the right choice to suit your style.
You could also consider having sapphire jewellery custom-made. Working with our experts, you can design the item of jewellery entirely how you wish. BAUNAT provides a 3D drawing so you can see what your jewellery will look like beforehand.
Find out more about other precious stones
Frequently asked Questions
How to identify a sapphire? What does a sapphire look like
To the question, "what does a sapphire look like?", most people would answer, "like a sky-blue gemstone". Although the colour is typical (previously all blue gemstones were called sapphires, blue diamonds as well), there are also yellow, orange and purple sapphires. The blue variant is certainly the most popular and most valuable.
What kinds of sapphire are there?
The most beautiful sapphires of the highest quality have a superb sky-blue colour. The blue sapphire is particularly popular with the aristocracy and royalty (see the British crown jewels!), and is often gladly set in wedding jewels as an accent colour. Hence, Kate Middelton received sapphire earrings as a wedding gift from the King of Saudi Arabia. The world's most valuable sapphire is the Blue Belle of Asia with a selling price of 17 million dollars!
How expensive is a sapphire?
All through human history,sapphires were always especially sought after because of their unique beauty. The stones decorated the robes of nobles and the crowns of kings. Sapphires are not only divinely beautiful but also quite rare. They are often used as an alternative to ultra-expensive blue diamonds, although they are also valuable themselves. The colour and size ultimately determine what is paid for a specific sapphire.
- BAUNAT Antwerp
- My Linkedin profile - Contact me