Blogs in the spotlight
- How do I buy the perfect diamond ring?
- Choosing the perfect wedding ring
- Buying an engagement ring: expert tips & tricks
- Which earrings are the right ones for you?
- How to choose the perfect diamond bracelet?
- How to choose a necklace for ladies?
- Take your time in choosing your watch
- What's the right jewellery for each occasion?
- Why buy diamond jewellery online?
- A guide to building up your jewellery collection
- What types of precious metals are there?
- What types of precious metals are there?
- Jewellery trends and innovations in 2020
- What sorts of diamond setting are there?
Many different stones fall under the category of precious or semi-precious stones, but the sapphire is one of the best known of all. Its beauty, rarity and durability are astonishing. Just like ruby, sapphire consists of the mineral corundum. The sky-blue colour is the result of contaminated iron particles in the stone. But why is buying a sapphire engagement ring such an excellent idea, and what is the history and meaning behind this special stone?
- Where does the name sapphire come from?
- What is the symbolism behind sapphires?
- Why is the blue sapphire often called a ‘royal precious stone’?
- For which occasions are sapphires appropriate?
- How can I incorporate blue and a sapphire, in particular, into my wedding?
- Why should I buy a sapphire engagement ring or other jewellery from BAUNAT?
Most viewed diamond jewels
High-quality sapphires are certainly no less beautiful than diamonds, although they do have a little bit less sparkle. Buy a blue diamond or blue sapphire engagement ring? The choice is yours!
The sapphire’s sky-blue colour is the reason the stone has been attributed so many powers. Alternative healers believe that sapphires contain energetic and healing properties. In India, they were convinced that blue sapphires could open the third eye and were the point for accessing exceptional wisdom and insight. When the ancient Greeks consulted the Oracle of Delphi, they always had a blue sapphire with them.
The sapphire’s sky-blue colour is one reason that the sapphire is believed to have spiritual properties.
Sapphires decorated the clothes and jewellery of many kings and queens.
Diana also had other blue sapphire jewellery. As such, Kate is now the owner of a gorgeous pair of sapphire earrings. The pair matches her sapphire engagement ring and were part of a wedding gift from King Fahd of Saudi Arabia.
Three famous sapphires
- Napoleon’s sapphire engagement ring: The ring that Napoleon gave to Josephine is set with a spectacular pear-shaped sapphire and diamond in a mirror image. This sapphire ring in a Toi & Moi design is thus an ideal engagement ring. The ring was sold at auction for $1.17 million in 2013. So if you buy a sapphire engagement ring, you are following in powerful footsteps!
- Stuart Sapphire: The Stuart Sapphire is one of the precious stones decorating the English Crown Jewels. This sapphire has a rather turbulent history. Its location was often unknown throughout history. Nonetheless, it was taken to France after the Glorious Revolution in 1688. In 1807, the stone returned to the United Kingdom from Italy. Today, the Stuart Sapphire can be seen in the Tower of London.
- The Blue Belle of Asia: This unique precious stone was sold for $17 million in 2014. It broke the record for the most expensive sapphire in the world sold at a public auction. It was bought in 1937 as a gift for Queen Elizabeth II for her coronation. However, the Queen never received it. The necklace the sapphire is set in is now part of the private collection of a Saudi collector.
Which month has the sapphire as its birthstone?
How are blue sapphires used?
According to alternative healers, sapphires have spiritual and healing properties.
What should you think about when buying a sapphire for an engagement ring or other piece of jewellery?
A kiss on the hand may feel very, very good, but a diamond and sapphire bracelet lasts forever.
Start the most special day of your life in style by arriving at your wedding in a blue wedding car. Light-blue classic cars are ideal for couples who love vintage style, and navy-blue luxury cars are the perfect choice for newlyweds who prefer a classic style.
Golden tip: Choose blue bridesmaids’ dresses from the same collection as the wedding dress.
Our experts only work with the highest-quality materials. You can rest assured that your sapphire ring or necklace will be of the very best quality. We also buy our precious stones directly from the source. In that way, we avoid unnecessary intermediaries and can sell our jewellery online for 30% to 50% cheaper.
Can you still not decide which sapphire engagement ring or pair of earrings to buy? Then, BAUNAT’s jewellery experts are always available to provide advice on finding the right jewellery to suit your style.
You could also consider having sapphire jewellery custom-made. Working with our experts, you can design the item of jewellery entirely how you want it. BAUNAT provides a 3D drawing so you can see what your jewellery will look like beforehand.