With their deep red colouring, rubies are the precious stones of love and passion. Along with diamonds, they adorn much royal jewellery and have been revered in countless civilisations throughout history. Anyone wearing jewellery with rubies would become more fertile and achieve happiness in life. Still today, jewellers set rubies into beautiful jewellery. This is also the case at BAUNAT. The red rubies in our jewellery are classy little gems. Read more about rubies and what they stand for here.
- What exactly are rubies?
- The history of rubies as valuable precious stones
- Where do rubies come from?
- The special significance of rubies
- The value of gemstone rubies
- Which precious metal goes best with rubies?
- Why buy ruby jewellery from BAUNAT?
Most viewed diamond jewels
1.50 carat ring in red gold with round diamondsFrom € 2.560 (excl. VAT)
0.90 carat solitaire diamond ring in platinum with six prongsFrom € 1.290 (excl. VAT)
1.00 carat solitaire halo ring in white gold with round diamondsFrom € 2.050 (excl. VAT)
1.06 carat diamond design necklace in platinumFrom € 2.590 (excl. VAT)
4.00 carat diamond tennis bracelet in white goldFrom € 3.380 (excl. VAT)
Rubies can only ever be red. Sapphires can also come in colours other than blue
As with most gemstones, it was thought in the Middle Ages that rubies had magical powers. It is known as the stone of life, which strengthens the heart and gives it energy. The ruby would also bring the wearer good fortune and fertility. Many Greek and Roman soldiers even used to decorate their swords and shields with rubies, because they said they brought strength and encouraged wounds to heal.
Oriental belly dancers, on the other hand, wear rubies in their navel to arouse lust and zeal. The ruby is also the birthstone for the month of July.
The ruby as a symbol of love
Unlike sapphires, which can also come in colours other than blue, rubies only come in one colour: red. This gemstone can, of course, come in different shades. There are, for example, pinkish, deep red or brown-red rubies. The really deep red rubies (pigeon's blood rubies) are the most valuable.
The healing properties of rubies
They also protect against negative energy and strengthen willpower and self-confidence. Linked to this, they also improve concentration and make you feel more motivated. They generally leave you feeling very positive about life.
The physical powers of red rubies should not be underestimated, either. The gemstone stimulates production of white and red blood cells and keeps hormones in balance. Wearing ruby jewellery is also advised for fatigue. They give you greater energy, but also calm you down when there is overactivity. Rubies also improve libido. Note that this has not been proven scientifically, but is influenced by alternative medicine.
What determines the value of a red ruby?As with other precious stones, a ruby's value is determined by the 4Cs. Also the place where the stone was found plays a role, too.
Colour is the most important aspect. The intensity and purity of the red colour determines the value. The more intense the red, the more expensive the ruby will be. Really pure, deep red is what we strive for when mining for rubies, but this shade is rare.
The top 3 most valuable rubies
- The Sunrise Ruby and Diamond Ring by Cartier ($30.3 million): this ring was sold in 2015 at Sotheby’s in Geneva. The central ruby is a beautiful stone of 25.59 carats from the Mogok Valley in Burma. A report from Gübelin (a prominent lab) confirms that the ruby is indeed from Burma and that it is a pigeon's blood ruby. This is the rather strange name for this shade of red. Pigeon's blood rubies are also generally the most expensive.
- The Graff Ruby ring ($8.6 million): this ring was also sold at Sotheby’s in Geneva. The buyer was a previous owner, namely Laurence Graff. It is also a Burmese ruby in the pigeon's blood colour. At 8.62 carats, this ruby is a lot smaller than the Sunrise Ruby.
- The Cartier brooch with Burmese ruby ($8.4 million): in 2014, Christie’s in Hong Kong sold an exceptional brooch. This brooch is set with a central ruby of 10.10 carats from Burma. Just like the Sunrise and Graff Ruby, it has the pigeon's blood colouring.
Moreover, our gemcutters only work with the highest-quality materials. This means you can be sure that the diamond or other precious stone in your ring, necklace, bracelet or pair of earrings is of very high quality. Nevertheless, we can offer you our jewellery at competitive prices, thanks to a unique approach purchasing directly from the source.
BAUNAT jewellery is made in Antwerp by true craftsmen
Buying a ruby is therefore definitely always a good decision. Not only does it have many protective and healing properties, it is also very attractive because of the beautiful red colour. Red ruby jewellery is definitely a wonderful present for a loved one. You are expressing your love even more ardently with a red precious stone. So don't hesitate: buy a ruby engagement ring.