Blogs in the spotlight
- How do I buy the perfect diamond ring?
- How do I choose the perfect wedding ring?
- How to buy an engagement ring?
- Which earrings are perfect for you?
- How to choose a diamond bracelet?
- Which ladies' necklace will make you sparkle?
- Take your time in choosing your watch
- What's the right jewellery for each occasion?
- Why buy diamond jewellery online?
- What types of precious metals are there?
- Whqt types of gemstones are there?
There are various coloured minerals in nature, but not all of them are gemstones. So, what is a gemstone, then? Only durable, rare stones with a certain hardness deserve that name. The four gemstones are diamond, emerald, sapphire and ruby, each with their own specific meaning and strength. Other beautiful stones used in jewellery, such as topaz, citrine and amethyst, are seen as ordinary coloured stones.
- What is a gemstone?
- The various types of gemstone
- The most valuable gemstones
- The various gemstone cuts
- The perfect gemstone for an engagement ring
- What are birthstones?
Most viewed diamond jewels
1.55 carat diamond halo earrings in white goldFrom € 3.960 (excl. VAT)
1.00 carat solitaire halo ring in white gold with round diamondsFrom € 2.470 (excl. VAT)
0.90 carat white golden solitaire pendant with round diamondFrom € 1.900 (excl. VAT)
0.20 carat diamond design infinity necklace in platinumFrom € 1.440 (excl. VAT)
1.06 carat diamond design necklace in platinumFrom € 2.270 (excl. VAT)
- the colour
- the lustre
- the "fire"
- the clarity
- the translucency
Durability refers to the hardness (according to the Mohs scale), brittleness and chemical resistance of the stone.
Certificates are issued nowadays for diamonds in terms of the 4Cs. These stand for carat, colour, clarity and cut. This is used to tell exactly what quality of diamonds you are buying.
According to legend, each type of precious and coloured stone has its own meaning. Wearing gemstones brings a certain energy. This is something to take into account when you choose a stone.
How are gemstones formed?
Most gems were formed between three billion and a few tens of millions of years ago. There are various types of mineral in nature, which can form gems in one of three ways.
Some minerals are formed caused by a meteor strike.
Find out more about diamonds, the best-known gemstone
There are several gemstones, such as Alexandrite or Taaffeite, which are more expensive per carat than even diamonds. But what turns out to be most valuable, are uniquely coloured diamonds. Certain colours are so rare that they are worth several million euros per carat.
The gem cutter assesses the stones for their colour, colour distribution, inclusions, optical properties, fracture and cutting surfaces
What is the best way to mix and match various colours? Always make sure they are complementary colours. You could also add colourless diamonds to make your coloured gemstone sparkle a bit more.
- January: garnet - courage, power and authority
- February: amethyst - devotion
- March: aquamarine - love, hope and security
- April: diamond - wealth and healing
- May: emerald - wisdom and patience
- June: moonstone - inner sensitivity
- July: ruby - love, passion and fortitude
- August: peridot - self-confidence and strength
- September: sapphire - honesty
- October: opal - peace and hope
- November: citrine - energy and joy for life
- December: topaz - fights depression and anxiety