Blogs in the spotlight
- How do I buy the perfect diamond ring?
- Choosing the perfect wedding ring
- Buying an engagement ring: expert tips & tricks
- Which earrings are the right ones for you?
- How to choose the perfect diamond bracelet?
- How to choose a necklace for ladies?
- Take your time in choosing your watch
- What's the right jewellery for each occasion?
- Why buy diamond jewellery online?
- A guide to building up your jewellery collection
- What types of precious metals are there?
- What types of precious metals are there?
- Jewellery trends and innovations in 2020
- What sorts of diamond setting are there?
A beautiful diamond ring on your finger can add elegance to your office while representing lasting love. It can also have an emotional value, as is often the case with an heirloom.
But what finger do you wear your engagement ring on? Though people traditionally wear it on their left hand, on the ring finger, different fingers have different meanings.
You may choose to wear your engagement ring on your middle finger, ring finger, or index finger. In this article, we’ll explain the meaning behind each finger, so you can make the right choice for yourself. In this article, we’ll discuss how wearing your engagement ring or wedding band on your:
- Ring finger represents love and devotion.
- Thumb represents masculinity and power.
- Index finger stands for self-confidence, ambition and leadership.
- Middle finger stands for responsibility, humanity and universal law.
We’ll also cover:
- The significance of a ring on a specific finger
- The significance of wearing a ring on the left or right hand
Most viewed diamond jewels
- Trilogy ring in red gold with a central sapphire and 2 round diamondsFrom USD 3.740 (incl. 0% VAT)
- 1.25 carat solitaire diamond ring in platinum with side diamondsFrom USD 3.440 (incl. 0% VAT)
- 1.25 carat solitaire ring in platinum with round diamondFrom USD 3.210 (incl. 0% VAT)
- 2.50 carat solitaire ring in yellow gold with side diamondsFrom USD 4.660 (incl. 0% VAT)
- 2.50 carat solitaire ring in white gold with side diamondsFrom USD 5.110 (incl. 0% VAT)
The significance of a ring on a specific finger
For those who don’t know, the ring finger is just next to the little finger. People believed that the vein from the heart travelled through that finger, giving it extra significance. Nowadays people wear their engagement ring on the ring finger of their left or right hand as a longstanding tradition.
If someone wears her wedding ring on their middle finger, it doesn’t hold special significance. This may be because the ring has become too loose on the ring finger and it needs to be resized. Otherwise, she may just prefer it that way.
If you are married, then you typically wear your engagement ring and wedding ring together on the ring finger of your left hand.
What does a ring on the thumb mean?
Take a look at our more robust rings for a powerful thumb engagement ring.
What does a ring on the index finger mean?
What is the meaning of a ring on the middle finger?
When a woman wears another ring on her middle finger, it generally doesn’t have a meaning. People may choose to place a ring on any finger, but a middle finger ring is prominent and easily visible, so it can mean balance and stability.
The middle finger is also supposed to be the perfect finger for showing off your ring to everyone. According to psychologists, this choice suggests someone wishes to show off their ring as well as themself. Fate and magic are also associated with wearing a ring on your middle finger.
What is the meaning of a ring on the ring finger?
Other kinds of rings are also highly suitable to wear on the ring finger.
What does a ring on the little finger mean?
People with extraordinary talents, who are bright and resourceful, wear rings on their little finger. In times gone by, men wore a signet ring on their little finger to sign important documents with, giving these rings vintage connotations.
People with extraordinary talents, who are bright and resourceful wear rings on their little finger.
For example, it is customary in some Western (Christian) countries to wear your engagement ring on the left and move it to the right when you get married. The wedding ring then goes on the left hand. Many married women, however, choose to wear wedding and engagement rings together, on the left hand.
If you want to wear another ring as well as your wedding ring and engagement ring, you can choose whether to wear it on the same or another hand. An eternity ring might even be worn on the same finger, for instance.
In some cultures, it is customary to move the wedding ring to the other hand when someone loses their partner. Both wedding rings can also be worn together, too, in which case the deceased partner's ring is worn behind the survivor's ring. Both rings can also be reworked by the jeweller into a widow ring.
Want to know more about how to wear your rings?
Frequently asked Questions
How to wear your engagement ring and wedding ring?
In most Western cultures, the engagement ring is worn on the ring finger of the left hand. In the past, people believed that this finger was the 'artery of love' that was connected directly to the heart. After marriage in some countries, the engagement ring is moved to the middle finger of the left hand to make room for the wedding ring on the ring finger. Here, most people wear both rings on the left hand, although some prefer to wear the wedding ring on the right-hand ring finger.
On which side do women wear bracelets?
Most women wear their bracelets and watches on their non-dominant hand. So if you are right-handed, you wear your bracelet on the left and vice versa. We do this mainly for practical reasons. Your bracelet can get in the way when writing or when performing certain actions. However, if you wear a watch and several bracelets together, the whole thing quickly looks messy and it is better to wear the bracelets on the other arm.
Engagement ring which hand/engagement ring which hand Muslim/engagement ring which hand Christian
The engagement ring: on which hand do I wear it? The engagement ring: on which hand do I wear it as a Muslim? The engagement ring: on which hand do I wear it as a Christian?
In most cultures, people wear both the engagement ring and wedding ring on the left-hand ring finger. As a Christian, you can also wear the engagement ring on the left hand and the wedding ring on the right hand. In countries of the Islam culture, the hand on which rings are worn varies from country to country. Jordan Muslims wear their wedding ring on the right hand, but in Iran people choose the left hand.
Gerd Van de Vel
- BAUNAT Antwerp
- My Linkedin profile - Contact me