Blogs in the spotlight
- How do I buy the perfect diamond ring?
- Choosing the perfect wedding ring
- Buying an engagement ring: expert tips & tricks
- Which earrings are the right ones for you?
- How to choose the perfect diamond bracelet?
- How to choose a necklace for ladies?
- Take your time in choosing your watch
- What's the right jewellery for each occasion?
- Why buy diamond jewellery online?
- A guide to building up your jewellery collection
- What types of precious metals are there?
- What types of precious metals are there?
- Jewellery trends and innovations in 2020
- What sorts of diamond setting are there?
A beautiful diamond ring on your finger makes your outfit that touch more elegant. It can also have an emotional value, as is often the case with an heirloom. But did you know that different fingers have different meanings? So what finger is the engagement finger? And what does wearing a ring on each finger mean? Whether you wear your engagement ring on your middle finger, ring finger, or index finger, we explain the meaning behind which finger you wear your engagement and wedding ring on.
- On your ring finger represents love and devotion.
- On your thumb represents masculinity and power.
- The index finger stands for self-confidence, ambition and leadership.
- The middle finger stands for responsibility, humanity and universal law.
- The significance of a ring on a specific finger
- The significance of wearing a ring on the left or right hand
Most viewed diamond jewels
- 1.50 carat solitaire ring in white gold with princess diamondFrom USD 1.170 (excl. VAT)
- 0.50 carat solitaire diamond design ring in yellow gold with eight prongsFrom USD 2.210 (excl. VAT)
- 1.50 carat solitaire diamond ring in platinumFrom USD 1.720 (excl. VAT)
- 1.20 carat solitaire diamond ring in red gold with side diamondsFrom USD 4.200 (excl. VAT)
- 2.00 carat solitaire ring in red gold with round diamondFrom USD 2.550 (excl. VAT)
Are you wondering which finger is your engagement ring finger? An engagement ring is traditionally worn on the ring finger of your left hand, which is right next to your little finger. People believed that the vein from the heart travelled through that finger. Nowadays people wear their engagement ring on the ring finger of their left or right hand.
If a woman wears her wedding ring on her middle finger, it doesn’t have a special significance. It may be that the ring has become too loose on her ring finger and she needs it resizing, or perhaps she just prefers it that way.
If you are married, then you wear your engagement ring and wedding ring together on the ring finger of your left hand. You can read more about how this came about in this article.
We explain the meaning of each finger for you.
What does a ring on the thumb mean?
What does a ring on the index finger mean?
What is the meaning of a ring on the middle finger?
When a woman wears another ring on her middle finger, it generally doesn’t have a meaning. There’s no reason not to wear a ring on any finger, but a ring on your middle finger is prominent and easily visible, so it can mean balance and stability.
The middle finger is also supposed to be the perfect finger for showing off your ring to everyone. According to psychologists, you want to show off your ring as well as yourself. Fate and magic are also associated with wearing a ring on your middle finger.
What is the meaning of a ring on the ring finger?
Other kinds of rings are also highly suitable for wearing on the ring finger, too.
What does a ring on the little finger mean?
People with extraordinary talents, who are bright and resourceful wear rings on their little finger. In times gone by, men wore a signet ring on their little finger to sign important documents with, rings for the little finger have therefore vintage connotations.
People with extraordinary talents, who are bright and resourceful wear rings on their little finger.
If you want to wear another ring as well as your wedding ring and engagement ring, you can choose whether to wear it on the same, or other hand. An eternity ring might even be worn on the same finger, for instance.
In some cultures, it is customary to move the wedding ring to the other hand when someone loses their partner. Both wedding rings can also be worn together, too, in which case the deceased partner's ring is worn behind the survivor's ring. Both rings can also be reworked by the jeweller into a widow ring.
Want to know more about how to wear your rings?
Frequently asked Questions
How to wear your engagement ring and wedding ring?
In most Western cultures, the engagement ring is worn on the ring finger of the left hand. In the past, people believed that this finger was the 'artery of love' that was connected directly to the heart. After marriage in some countries, the engagement ring is moved to the middle finger of the left hand to make room for the wedding ring on the ring finger. Here, most people wear both rings on the left hand, although some prefer to wear the wedding ring on the right-hand ring finger.
On which side do women wear bracelets?
Most women wear their bracelets and watches on their non-dominant hand. So if you are right-handed, you wear your bracelet on the left and vice versa. We do this mainly for practical reasons. Your bracelet can get in the way when writing or when performing certain actions. However, if you wear a watch and several bracelets together, the whole thing quickly looks messy and it is better to wear the bracelets on the other arm.
Engagement ring which hand/engagement ring which hand Muslim/engagement ring which hand Christian
The engagement ring: on which hand do I wear it? The engagement ring: on which hand do I wear it as a Muslim? The engagement ring: on which hand do I wear it as a Christian?
In most cultures, people wear both the engagement ring and wedding ring on the left-hand ring finger. As a Christian, you can also wear the engagement ring on the left hand and the wedding ring on the right hand. In countries of the Islam culture, the hand on which rings are worn varies from country to country. Jordan Muslims wear their wedding ring on the right hand, but in Iran people choose the left hand.