Blogs in the spotlight
- How do I buy the perfect diamond ring?
- Choosing the perfect wedding ring
- Buying an engagement ring: expert tips & tricks
- Welke diamanten oorbellen kopen?
- Which earrings are the right ones for you?
- How to choose the perfect diamond bracelet?
- How to choose a necklace for ladies?
- Take your time in choosing your watch
- What's the right jewellery for each occasion?
- Why buy diamond jewellery online?
- A guide to building up your jewellery collection
- What types of precious metals are there?
- What types of precious metals are there?
- Jewellery trends and innovations in 2020
- What sorts of diamond setting are there?
- What’s the difference in colour? - Colour
- How should you care for your jewellery? - Care
- What do these precious metals consist of? - Composition
- What’s the price difference? – Cost
- What cultural value do gold and platinum have? - Culture
You will be completely flooded with options when you start your search for an engagement ring. It’s like you need to find out which style, diamond shape, precious metals and even which settings are perfect for the engagement ring you want to buy for your partner as quickly as possible. So let’s start with focussing on the precious metal. Do you know the difference between white gold and platinum? We will explain using the 5C’s: colour, care, composition, cost and culture.
Most viewed diamond jewels
- 1.30 carat diamond design earrings in white goldFrom USD 5.500 (excl. VAT)
- 0.85 carat diamond design ring in white goldFrom USD 5.360 (excl. VAT)
- 0.55 carat diamond design ring in white goldFrom USD 3.320 (excl. VAT)
- 0.65 carat diamond design pendant in white goldFrom USD 4.700 (excl. VAT)
- 1.50 carat diamond design earrings in white goldFrom USD 6.120 (excl. VAT)
What’s the difference in colour? - Colour
It may well seem like white gold and platinum have the same colour, yet they are still quite different. An engagement ring in white gold has a definite silver colour, whilst platinum will look more grey at first sight. That’s why we would never recommend wearing both precious metals at the same time. Are you going to opt for a platinum engagement ring? Then make sure you also go for platinum wedding rings from the extensive collection!
Can you not see a great deal of difference in colour? Then in time you will notice that your white gold jewellery will take on more of a yellow shine, which is completely normal, considering 18 karat white gold is made up of 75% fine yellow gold and 25% additives. The ring will be rhodium-plated and will subsequently turn white. A platinum ring will retain its white colour, as platinum naturally has a white colour.
How should you care for your jewellery? - Care
It’s important to know how to care for and protect your gold and diamond jewellery. As we already mentioned above, a white gold engagement ring will display a somewhat yellow shine after some time. After all, the layer of rhodium the ring is covered with for a whiter and more shiny effect will start to wear off over time. This process will therefore regularly need to be repeated.
What do these precious metals consist of? - Composition
There is no such thing as pure white gold. We already mentioned that an engagement ring in white gold is usually finished off with a layer of rhodium, but the white golden colour is actually the result of mixing yellow gold with silver, nickel, palladium and/or manganese. Most white gold jewellery is available in either 14 or 18 carat. The first consists of 58.3% pure gold, the latter 75%.
Is your partner allergic to nickel? Then platinum will be your best choice. Platinum is a hyper-allergenic and an incredibly sustainable precious metal. It isn’t only stronger than gold, but also heavier to wear.
What’s the price difference? – Cost
Only 160 tons of platinum, compared to 1500 tons of gold, is being mined on an annual basis. This rarity, combined with the heavier weight, naturally impacts the price of a platinum engagement ring. Platinum is therefore labelled as an even more luxurious and exclusive precious metal than gold.
White gold costs approximately half of platinum. You could obviously spend the price difference on an even bigger diamond for your engagement ring.
What cultural value do gold and platinum have? - Culture
Gold is regarded as the most traditional precious metal for engagement rings and wedding rings, as it symbolises the eternal love and commitment between partners. People also refer to a 50th wedding anniversary as the golden anniversary. Even though gold also symbolises victory (just think about the gold medals awarded during sports events), platinum still seems to be becoming the new symbol for wealth and prestige.
Just think about the platinum credit card, which often offers even more privileges and advantages than the gold credit card. Then add Hollywood’s obsession with platinum and you will understand how platinum has become the new gold for many people.
Irrespective of whether you opt for white gold or platinum earrings, necklaces or rings, both choices are just as beautiful. It’s of particular importance to be well informed of the advantages and disadvantages of both precious metals. Do you have any additional questions after reading this article? Then contact BAUNAT’s experts for tailor-made advice.