Blogs in the spotlight
- How do I buy the perfect diamond ring?
- Choosing the perfect wedding ring
- Buying an engagement ring: expert tips & tricks
- Welke diamanten oorbellen kopen?
- Which earrings are the right ones for you?
- How to choose the perfect diamond bracelet?
- How to choose a necklace for ladies?
- Take your time in choosing your watch
- What's the right jewellery for each occasion?
- Why buy diamond jewellery online?
- A guide to building up your jewellery collection
- What types of precious metals are there?
- What types of precious metals are there?
- Jewellery trends and innovations in 2020
- What sorts of diamond setting are there?
- How can a plant reveal diamonds?
- Which other precious materials can plants show?
- How can we locate other jewels and diamonds?
Moving to an exotic location? Getting married abroad? Then keep an eye out for these remarkable plants! They reveal diamonds even in the densest jungle and make for a far less invasive scavenger hunt than traditional prospecting methods. How do they reveal diamonds? Are there other plants that can help us find precious materials?
Most viewed diamond jewels
- 12.80 Ct earrings in white gold with round, marquise and pear-shaped diamondsFrom USD 95.750 (excl. VAT)
- 21.30 carat diamond gradient necklace in red gold with pear-shaped sapphireFrom USD 76.410 (excl. VAT)
- Ring in yellow gold with round diamond and taper cut diamondsFrom USD 199.320 (excl. VAT)
- Ring in red gold with cushion diamond and round diamondsFrom USD 120.330 (excl. VAT)
- Ring in red gold with radiant diamond and triangle diamondsFrom USD 117.210 (excl. VAT)
How can a plant reveal diamonds?
Thorny and palm-like plant Pandanus candelabrum is native to West-Africa and its remarkable characteristics were first discovered in Liberia. The plant thrives on soil rich in kimberlite, which is coincidentally the exact type of rock that transports diamonds from deep inside the Earth to the surface. Kimberlite contains nutrients such as magnesium, phosphor and potassium, exactly the type of soil the pandanus candelabrum needs. The extraordinary plants make it possible to hunt for diamonds in a far less invasive way than is usually the case.
Instead of exhausting natural resources and having to restore them afterwards in search of new diamond deposits, dense jungles can easily be scanned for pandanus candelabrum suggesting kimberlite pipes without damaging the ecosystem.
Which other precious materials can plants show?
Diamonds are not the only precious materials that plants help us find. Although they might be the only gemstone helping plants grow, other plants help prospectors find ore, such as copper and gold, in American desert plains. The most important type of plant helping us find the valuable precious metal is buckwheat, with several subspecies tracking and even absorbing soil rich in gold. The Desert Trumpet indicates gold nearby and makes many a prospector dust off the metal detector. Jewels and diamonds specifically might not be easily found this way, it does lead to plenty of precious metals if you know where to look.
Sagebrush is in a league of its own because it does not necessarily point to gold in the soil, but it does absorb gold molecules when exposed to them. The higher the concentration of molecules in the plant, the closer by gold is found.
How can we locate other jewels and diamonds?
Plants guiding us towards certain ores or other specific materials in the ground is called geobotany. Although the very specialized science helps us find diamonds and gold, among other precious materials, other gems have yet to show any particular floral companions. Diamonds can be found in kimberlite deposits all around the world, regardless of Pandanus candelabrum growing on top of them. Other gems are found by sifting through alluvial soil. The soil is sifted in water which makes the gems, which are heavier than other types of rock, sink to the bottom. When the sieve is turned over they end up on top of the pile.
Where can I find the perfect jewels and diamonds for my favourite jewellery? How can I pick out the perfect jewellery to add to my collection? Contact the diamond jewellery experts at BAUNAT to find the missing piece to your collection.