Blogs in the spotlight
- How do I buy the perfect diamond ring?
- Choosing the perfect wedding ring
- Buying an engagement ring: expert tips & tricks
- Which earrings are the right ones for you?
- How to choose the perfect diamond bracelet?
- How to choose a necklace for ladies?
- Take your time in choosing your watch
- What's the right jewellery for each occasion?
- Why buy diamond jewellery online?
- A guide to building up your jewellery collection
- What types of precious metals are there?
- What types of precious metals are there?
- Jewellery trends and innovations in 2020
- What sorts of diamond setting are there?
- Which classic and traditional rings stand out?
- Which engagement rings show off coloured gems?
- What unusual and daring rings did some royals choose?
Thanks to the spate of royal weddings, from Kate and Will’s through Prince Harry and Megan Markle’s to Princess Beatrice’s, we wondered who had the most beautiful royal engagement ring in history? Which royals chose a classic ring befitting their long-standing traditions and history, and who opted for more unusual engagement rings?
Most viewed diamond jewels
- 0.90 carat solitaire diamond ring in platinum with six prongsFrom USD 1.700 (excl. VAT)
- 0.90 carat solitaire diamond ring in white gold with side diamondsFrom USD 2.780 (excl. VAT)
- 0.70 carat solitaire ring in white gold with princess diamond and side diamondsFrom USD 2.510 (excl. VAT)
- 0.90 carat solitaire diamond ring in white gold with side diamondsFrom USD 2.890 (excl. VAT)
- 0.70 carat solitaire diamond ring in white gold with side diamondsFrom USD 2.830 (excl. VAT)
Which royal engagement rings were more classic and traditional?
While Meghan Markle’s engagement ring might not be the most classic choice, it breathes traditional style and class. This ring combines meaningful symbolism with stunning style; the cushion cut centre diamond from the Botswana diamond mine is flanked by two diamonds from the late Princess Diana’s personal collection in this beautiful yellow gold trilogy. Although not quite the same, its toned-down traditional air is reminiscent of Queen Elizabeth’s subtle ring, as she too used diamonds from her mother-in-law’s collection. From a distance, it appears to be a stylish trilogy, but a closer look reveals a 3-carat centre stone flanked with ten smaller diamonds in a triangular shape.
Princess Grace of Monaco’s royal engagement ring stood out not for its colour or unusual setting but for its sheer size. Her platinum Cartier engagement ring housed a 10.47-carat emerald cut diamond in the centre, with two diamond baguettes to the side. Similarly, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, received an emerald cut diamond with three baguettes to each side from Prince Charles.
Which royal engagement rings show off coloured gems?
Coloured diamonds and gemstones might feel modern, but they have been considered a sophisticated choice for quite some time. Princess Diana, and Kate Middleton after her, wore a 12-carat blue Ceylon sapphire in her engagement ring surrounded by 14 round diamonds. When Prince Charles picked it out for his bride-to-be, he drew inspiration from a timeless sapphire brooch surrounded by diamonds that had been with the British royal family since Queen Victoria received it from her beloved husband Albert in 1840. The Duchess of York Sarah Ferguson received a floral shaped diamond engagement ring with an oval-cut Burmese ruby in the centre.
However, British monarchs are not the only royal family to favour coloured gemstones throughout the years. Queen Maxima of the Netherlands is never seen without her oval cut orange engagement ring with tear-drop diamonds. Neither is Princess Mathilde from Belgium without her oval-cut ruby ring set in a thick diamond band.
What unusual and daring engagement rings did some royals choose?
Although classic styles and coloured gems never go out of style, some engagement rings only really started to become popular over recent years. Queen Margrethe of Denmark was ahead of the times with her toi et moi engagement ring set with two square-cut diamonds in yellow gold. The same could be said for Spanish King Felipe when he picked out the classic baguette eternity ring with 16 colourless diamonds in white gold trim for his wife, Letizia.
Which type of engagement rings suits my style? How can I pick one reminiscent of a royal engagement ring? Contact the diamond jewellery experts at BAUNAT for the perfect engagement ring.