Blogs in the spotlight
- How do I buy the perfect diamond ring?
- How do I choose the perfect wedding ring?
- How to buy an engagement ring?
- Which earrings are perfect for you?
- How to choose a diamond bracelet?
- Which ladies' necklace will make you sparkle?
- Take your time in choosing your watch
- What's the right jewellery for each occasion?
- Why buy diamond jewellery online?
- What types of precious metals are there?
- Whqt types of gemstones are there?
The rarity of certain precious stones and their heroic stories has resulted in some diamonds gaining a mythical status. One such stone is the Sancy Diamond, a diamond of no fewer than 55.23 carats and with a unique pale-yellow appearance. The diamond, which is one of the most beautiful diamonds in the world, has a turbulent history but it is now back in safe hands in France. What is the story behind the Sancy Diamond?
- The history of the Sancy Diamond
- How did the Sancy Diamond get its name?
- The value of the Sancy Diamond
- Where can you admire the Sancy Diamond?
Most viewed diamond jewels
VeneziaFrom € 6.220 (excl. VAT)
1.50 carat ring in red gold with round diamondsFrom € 4.000 (excl. VAT)
0.90 carat solitaire diamond ring in platinum with six prongsFrom € 1.450 (excl. VAT)
0.90 carat white golden solitaire pendant with round diamondFrom € 2.150 (excl. VAT)
1.00 carat solitaire diamond ring in white goldFrom € 2.000 (excl. VAT)
The stone stayed in Portuguese hands for almost a century before continuing its journey
De Harley didn't want to sell the diamond, but he was forced to take measures in 1596 to save his financial situation. He decided to sell the diamond, but not to the French Court. James I of England made the winning bid and the diamond would then stay out of France for almost a century.
James II lost the Battle of the Boyne in 1690, fled to France and sold the diamond to Louis XIV, the Sun King. The Sancy remained at the French Court, but things went wrong during the riots of the French Revolution. Various rare diamonds were stolen, including the Sancy and The Blue Hope Diamond.
- Carat: 55.23
- Colour: pale yellow
- Cut: a symmetrical shield-shape with two identical surfaces
- Clarity: unknown
The value of the diamond has never been calculated because its value is also in its amazing history. The diamond is currently estimated at just over six million euro. It is one of the most famous diamonds in the world.
Why buy diamonds from BAUNAT?
The diamonds and other precious stones from BAUNAT are of course of the highest possible quality. BAUNAT buys its diamonds directly from the source, eliminating intermediaries and enabling us to offer jewellery online 30% to 50% cheaper. Moreover, we only work with high-quality materials. For the precious metals, this is 18 carat gold and 950 platinum.