The difference between red gold and rose gold is not always clearly noticed under certain light conditions. This is not so strange as these two shades of gold are strongly related to each other. But it does indeed concern different alloys. What are the decisive differences between red gold and rose gold? You can find out here.

Browse our collection of red gold engagement rings

 

 

To what extent does the composition differ?

Copper like this is added to gold to obtain rose and red gold.
Both red gold and rose gold get their colour by adding copper to pure gold. The percentage of copper in the alloy ultimately determines the colour and thus the name of the result. At BAUNAT, the gold is always 18 carats. A higher karat is not desirable because this gold is too soft and fragile.
 Share of pure gold in alloys at BAUNAT.
In 18 carat gold, which we always use at BAUNAT, there will always be 75% gold present in red gold or rose gold. It is the percentage of copper (and other precious metals) that varies. For example, in red gold, the remaining 25% of the alloy will consist almost entirely of copper. A very small percentage is silver. With rose gold, this is not the case: about 22.5% is copper and 2.5% silver. If the share of silver rises to 5% and the share of copper drops to 20%, we call it rose gold. The colour shade of this is just slightly different.

What is the difference in colour?

Rose gold rings. The colour of these rings is a little lighter than with red gold. – BAUNAT
The word says it all: colour. The colour palette does not differ much but can be seen clearly under the right circumstances. Red gold is the darkest, rose gold the lightest. Copper has a powerful pink-orange colour. If we add this metal to pure gold, we obtain a beautiful pinkish gold colour. The higher the percentage of copper in the alloy, the stronger the pink hue.
Red gold custom-made ring on note - BAUNAT
Full red gold has a rather orange red colour, especially compared to the other two shades. It's a little darker too. Rose gold is a little lighter than red gold. This is caused by the higher share of silver. Pink gold is even lighter than rose gold, again because more silver was used.

See all BAUNAT rings in red gold

Why does the name differ?

Lady writes with red gold ring on from BAUNAT
The difference between red gold, rose gold and pink gold is not always clearly defined. With this, we mean that different brands can also use different names, which can cause a lot of confusion. Depending on the jeweller, the terms are used intermixed and what is red gold at one jeweller can be rose gold at another.

Some even argue that there is no distinction at all and claim that the term rose gold is only used to give the colour an even more romantic undertone. Others still use the word rose gold consistently, but see it as a kind of overarching name for all gold alloys in which copper was also used.

Browse all the jewellery in the Solé collection

Lady writes with red gold ring on from BAUNAT
Do you have a hard time making a choice? That's absolutely normal. Both rose gold and red gold are undoubtedly beautiful for you, and then we haven't even started talking about white gold or platinum. BAUNAT's experienced specialists are always happy to assist you with advice to help you make an informed choice.

Are you going for rose gold in a custom ring?

Read more about customisation

What do you know about our other precious metals?

Do you know which metal gold is mixed with to form white or yellow gold: strong alloys with their own characteristics. And do you already know why platinum is an excellent choice with diamond jewellery? You can read all about it in these blogs.
Share on: